Curling in Altona and area, dates back to 1927, over 85 years ago. The beginning of the sport and cultural activity was described by Esther Epp Thiessen, in the book, Story of a Prairie Town, “In 1927 curling came to Altona. Some of the original members of the town’s first club were H.H. Hamm, Harry Yee, P.L. Dick, D.H. Reimer, A.D. Friesen, Art German and Dr. Breidenbach. Together they built a one-sheet curling rink immediately west of the CPR station and charged each other fifteen dollars a season for a share in the investment. To allow for evening curling, lawyer G.C. Serkau set up a homemade light plant using a motor from a Maxwell car. Every so often the plant would konk out, and the game would discontinue until “Drusch” Wiebe, the mechanic at Rhineland Car, got it going again.”
By 1957, a large 5 sheet natural ice facility was built downtown at the site of the current Katerina Courts. Long term residents of the community recall the countless volunteer hours that were contributed in the building’s construction and eventual installation of artificial ice. The club enjoyed many years of hosting successful bonspiels with the annual Men’s bonspiel attracting close to 100 teams,in it’s heyday, competing all week long in 10 end games (12 ends for the finals. The 5 event extravaganzas required the installation of 5 sheets in the neighbouring hockey rink. Mixed curling was also popular with up to 64 teams competing. The club celebrated a 25th anniversary bonspiel in 1982.